Monday 10 January 2011

The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know.

As I browse the internet, I come across all kinds of sites and tutorials on comic book design. (I know I'm not actually designing comic books, but sometimes my work comes pretty close.)

And as I read, I realise how little I know. For example, I've just read a blog post on character design, which was full of things I've never even thought of. My characters don't have enough character. I'm glad I read it right near the start of a new project.

It's a very interesting blog. Not a lot on it yet, but what is there looks extremely valuable. Here's a quote from it:

"Style is Grounded in Realism ... Most comics don’t benefit from extreme realism, but the ability to render things realistically strengthens and expands your capacity to stylize your art.  If, for example, you’re poor at drawing hands, any attempt to stylize or minimalize the details in cartoon hands are going to be limited, in both style and expressiveness .... You have to know the rules before you can adequately break them .... If you look for it, you can tell when an artist is extremely skilled, regardless of how complex or simple their style may be ....  Even if you’re drawing something as simple as a stickman comic, having a foundation of strong draftsmanship expands your creative potential a hundredfold."

No comments: