Tuesday 23 November 2010

Pythagoras' Theorem is useful

I used it today! For buying material for a Christmas play costume in a triangular poncho style (It will be a tropical bird, and if you're wondering what that has to do with Christmas you'll just have to wait and see). I also needed algebra, and binary chop because I didn't have a calculator on me to work out the square root. Those maths lessons are still useful 15-20 years later! It would have been easier, however, if I was rather better at my times tables...

Btw, did you know that, not only is the square on the hypoteneuse the sum of the squares on the other two sides, but also the pentagon on the hypoteneuse is the sum of the pentagons on the other two sides, and the Mona Lisa on the hypoteneuse is the sum of the Mona Lisas on the other two sides? I found this truly useful info in a book I gave my dad for his birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know who to come to for help when my child in 1st year can't do her maths homework! Mack Bros, eat your heart out.

I just can't imagine EVER reading that book, though!

Kirsty said...

I haven't actually read it, just flicked through looking at the pictures :-) My dad raced through it though.

I'm amazed I still remember that stuff from school! I am totally not mathematical, but I always liked the logic of algebra.