Wednesday 5 May 2010

New book


I've just bought this book. I was feeling I really needed to learn a bit more about graphic design, as I do so much of it, and have never been trained in it. Had a look in Waterstones, and I went for this. Rather pricey for what it is, but I had tokens I'd been saving up.

What I like about the book is that it explains exactly what it's doing and why. It doesn't seem to be aimed specifically at designers, but anyone who has to design things. However, you'd have to be familiar with design software to use it. He designs business cards, leaflets, booklets, powerponts etc, sometimes showing a 'before' amateurish design, and then explaining how to achieve what you're trying to achieve. It even gives tips on designing for desktop printers which don't print right to the edge.


As it's all by the one man the designs are all in his style, which tends to be quite clean and crisp - doesn't have anything about wackier, more random or grungy designs. Or kids' stuff. Still, lots of very useful info and principles.

Unfortunately doesn't have a chapter entitled: How to fit far too much stuff on a page.

No comments: